Wednesday, 22 October 2014

I was watching Film4 a couple of nights ago and Transformers 2 came one. Michael Bay's super loud, super explosive and super dumb sequel. I will happily go on the record (as I think most wouldn't) to say I was a fan of the first. Ok it's by no means a perfect movie but as a kid I was always a fan of the transformers toys and cartoons and seeing the live action adaptation definitely hit some nostalgic notes and I have to say it - it was pretty awesome.

I can picture Michael Bay pitching the sequel. He's dancing around describing the action sequences in great detail, his big plans for new robots and he's got a world map and he's highlighting famous locations to blow up. Then he mutters something about story and sort of links it together. Everybody says awesome, they all high-5 and then they give him a few hundred million dollars to blow.

The point that surprised me most about these movies is Bay's willingness to throw logic out of the window for the sake of a "good shot". I read a quote by David Fincher once that I annoyingly can't find, the gist anyway was-  being a director is knowing that you have two more shots scheduled for the day but knowing you only have enough light for one and finding the solution. This it seems, would be something Michael Bay would argue with.


Here we have the NEST team jumping from the plane. The sky is fairly blue and the sun seems to be at a reasonable height in the sky.

Cut to a long shot of the plane dropping the crew and ...


Inexplicably the time of day has changed.

Cut back to the guys on the ground overseeing the drop and ...


We're back to day time.

The only explanation I can think of is the long shot of the plane with the iconic Egyptian desert set against the sunset does look pretty Raiders of the Lost Ark and cool, but really?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home